Menu

Login above

In search of an anvil - Southern CA, but will drive

• December 28, 2018 6:23 PM
    Message # 6975760
    Anonymous
    Hello all. 

Based on what I’ve seen, the forum doesn’t get a lot of traffic, but in following the Thomas Powers TPAAA, every little bit helps. 

I’m looking for another anvil, this time for my son, as he has outgrown the one he currently uses. I would prefer something bigger than 100lbs, though if a nice 92lb HB (or comparable) presented itself, I might consider it. I don’t have too many specifics, but ideally, here are the parameters I’m hoping to utilize:

- bigger than 100lbs. 150ish-200lbs would be ideal.

- not interested in anything that has significant edge damage on the face. I don’t mind needing to put a little elbow grease in to the face, and would be fine with minor wear on some edges, but I definitely need useful edges on the majority of the face. 

- double horn is fine, but I need at lease one rounded horn, and would prefer one with a table adjacent to the drop. I would prefer a longer, more gradual conic grade opposed to a short, stubby horn. Some minor wear and damage is fine (and largely expected) but it needs to be a fully functional horn. Also doesn’t need to be a “standard” London pattern, as I’m not dropping any on roadrunners!

- no preference in hardy size, as I can make whatever top tools are needed, but would like both hardy and pritchel holes. 

- no brand preference, but want something reliable with as much life left in the face as possible. I also don’t (necessarily) have a preference of wrought, opposed to cast with steel top (eg Fisher) but don’t want anything with dead spots where the steel plate is separating. 

- will primarily be used for blacksmithing (light to medium stock, mostly) and knife/sword making, so the face needs to be around 4” wide (give or take a little) or more. I would prefer one on the wider side.

- important to note that I am NOT looking for a farrier’s anvil, nor do I need turning cams, but don’t want a super thin waist. I need ample workable “face space.”

I think that’s about it. Sounds like a lot of specifications, but I tried to be as detailed as possible in the event that someone has an extra. Everything on Craigslist seems to be more than $10/lb, which I’m sure is largely due to the “Forged In Fire” phenomenon. I’m permanently disabled and have no income, but I’ve been saving for a while, as my son has graduated from his 60lb’er. I don’t expect a freebie, nor do I want to “gouge you” on price, though, I do accept charity ;)

Thank in advance, and if you have one that fits this description, or know someone who does, please pass along my contact info. I am located in Southern California (Hemet) but am willing to drive just about anywhere in-state if I find the right piece at the right price. 

Also, if someone has Jeff Hunter’s contact info (Temecula, I believe) I would like to make contact with him about this.

Cheers,

Mike “Little Mountain” Tausig

mike@tausig.net   408.761.8659

Last modified: December 28, 2018 6:24 PM | Anonymous

California Blacksmith Association

5505 Santa Cruz Ave.

Richmond, CA  94804

Copyright ©2024 California Blacksmith Association. All Rights Reserved.     

Legal Notices