Menu

Login above

Level 1 Documentation

• March 22, 2019 6:36 AM
    Reply # 7239911 on 4891191

I made this handout for our students at our school in Los Angeles. It has the sign off sheet, stock requirements, and instructions for the projects which are not in the book Mastering the Fundamentals Of Blacksmithing by Mark Aspery.

http://www.adamsforge.org/uploads/4/0/5/8/40581069/level_1_student_handout.pdf

I hope this helps.

Gary

• March 22, 2019 4:08 PM
    Reply # 7240660 on 4891191

Hi Dale,  I'm not sure if this helps, but the list of basic tasks and the final project are on the CBA website.  This link.

https://www.calsmith.org/Level-I

Here's a link to the ABANA website where they have documentation that you can down-load that should cover all of the items as listed by the CBA, except the smithen-magasin tool.

https://abana.org/education/controlled-hand-forging/

Of the items listed I have no idea what the smithin-magician tool is?

I have only completed my level 1, about 5 years ago.

No one in my area is teaching, so I have now taken on a couple of students.  Working on the level 1 list from the above links.

I'm sorry the CBA as an organization has not provided the information you have been looking for, it's really a shame.

Cheers,

Frank

PS. Give me a call if you have questions: 831-566-4170

• March 22, 2019 4:14 PM
    Reply # 7240662 on 4891191

Hi Gary,

I had seen the Adams Forge level 1 document a few years ago (that you made), but for the life of me I had not been able to find it since.  Thank you for posting this!

• March 25, 2019 8:35 PM
    Reply # 7245213 on 4891191

I modified the Level 1 Student Handout for a more general application and listed the projects from The Skills of a Blacksmith, by Mark Aspery for the sign off items. I sent a copy to the webmaster's email to see if we can get it on the website for easier viewing. 

1 file
  • April 14, 2019 8:27 AM
    Reply # 7281606 on 4891191

I write this with some reservation....But respecting information offered by those which have responded...

To those who have suggested the ABANA  Controlled Hand Forging techniques, I have that and it is  awesome IF you want ABANA certification...   Anyone finishing all the steps will certainly have acquired the skills and abilities to become a experienced smith.... However the ABANA  CHF does not meet the project needs of the CBA qualifications sign off sheet...It is everything CBA needs to have but does not have....

To those who have offered the check off list and such, and list of things to know... This great, but where is documentation (text/sketches/material requirement/tools list) to complete each step... There is not much good of having a sign off sheet and a list of things one should know if the supporting documentation is not there to allow one to complete projects to sign off on... Having a graphic on final level 1 project, is not a road map on how to get there...

This is where CBA is failing the new and aspiring smith...  CBA seems to be great in putting on shows and hammer in and participation event, but is severely lacking in education of the new smith....

At this point only thing CBA seems to have for me is insurance so I can participate in once a month local get to together, and we all try to use the same, way out of date, 14th (reproduction)  copy of a barely readable  (almost blacked out pictures and sketches from excess copying)... So all I have access to is the rather poor copy of Level 1, no documentation for level 2 or 3 and no instructors level documantationl....

Its time for CBA to catch up to what ABANA CHF is so it is a road map for anyone wishing to can get the certification to each level....

Respectfully

Dale Meisenheimer

• April 15, 2019 7:26 PM
    Reply # 7284440 on 4891191

Dale,

I created handouts for both CBA Level 1  ( https://www.calsmith.org/Level-I at the bottom of the page and attached)   and Level 2  (attached as still waiting for it to get onto the website).  They go over each project and detail the location of instructions. Many instructions are also available in videos online.

You are correct that we do not give the instruction books away for free as they are not ours. Mark Aspery's Skills of a Blacksmith Vol 1 is the book you will want to buy for Level 1. At our school we have the set for our students to study; though most buy their own copy eventually.

You do have a valid point about the Level 1 project in that there are no detailed instructions. The assumption was that once you did all the level 1 tasks you could figure out the final project. However, seeing many students struggle on it I really should get instructions done for this as well. I will post them when I finish.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Gary

2 files
    Last modified: April 16, 2019 6:54 AM | Gary Standke
  • April 16, 2019 5:50 PM
    Reply # 7285987 on 4891191

So I have to drop $65  in Marks pocket so I can become a accomplished smith....  No thank you... ABANA has a better deal.....

Sorry if I should a bit put off....BUT its not exactly how it should work... By paying member ship full documentation should be made available to me and other beginners... I realize a cost is involved in publishing, but that should go to CBA for making the documentation available and not Mark....

I appreciate the fact people are trying to help but most documents posted are not the complete  curriculum and its not really any help....

Dale Meisenheimer

• April 17, 2019 7:59 PM
    Reply # 7291777 on 4891191

You actually do  not have to buy anything, it will just take you a lot longer to find all the information. Those of us who went through Level 1 and 2 prior to the publication of Skills of a Blacksmith spent a long time, and alot more money, rounding up the material to figure out how to do the tasks. That no one did this prior to Mark should give you some idea of the amount of work it took and what it is worth. 

An "accomplished smith" should be able to make all his own hammers, tongs and tooling for the task at hand. By the end of CBA Level 2 you are there. ABANA's program is a wonderful start, but ends far short of this goal. 

You mentioned you were part of a group that got together monthly. Perhaps one of your members has the book so you can borrow it, or your group can get together to get one. It will not be free, but it will be worth it. 

• April 19, 2019 8:51 AM
    Reply # 7294450 on 4891191

Guess you have not really read my posts  really close, yes I have access to level one, one day month, if I can just get one project done a month I can get my level one in what 19 months... I am going on 75 years old, at that rate I can never reach instructor level before I pass on...

I have the skills and forge and all the necessary stuff.... I JUST NEED SPECIFICATIONS FOR EACH ITEM , which nobody seems to have a publication to present for those in need... Lists and out outlines for projects is fine, but SPECIFICATIONS for each project is what I need....

If everyone here has had to struggle to get a complete list of items and specifications why is it people can not understand the need to put something together and make it available as  ABANA has for HCF documents...

Last modified: April 20, 2019 7:49 AM | Dale Meisenheimer
  • April 20, 2019 9:11 AM
    Reply # 7295869 on 4891191

Or you can spend $65 for Skills of a Blacksmith, Vol 1, by Mark Aspery and be done in a month. The choice is yours. The "manual is sold separately".

California Blacksmith Association

5505 Santa Cruz Ave.

Richmond, CA  94804

Copyright ©2024 California Blacksmith Association. All Rights Reserved.     

Legal Notices